The Danish Superliga is one of the most competitive football leagues in Europe. This season, there are a few surprises at the top of the table, with teams like FC Midtjylland and Brøndby IF vying for the title. But what do you really know about this league? In this blog post, we will discuss ten things that you may not have known about the totalsportek com Superliga! So without further ado, let’s get started!
Did You Know?
- The Danish Superliga was founded in 1991? Prior to this, the top level of football in Denmark was the Danish Championship.
- FC Midtjylland are the reigning champions, having won their first-ever title last season? They are also the only team outside of Copenhagen to have won the league since its inception.
- There are currently 14 teams in the Superliga? This will be increased to 16 teams for next season, with two new teams being promoted from the second tier.
- The most successful team in the Superliga is FC Copenhagen, which has won 13 titles? They are closely followed by Brøndby IF with 11 titles.
- The current format of the league is a double round-robin, with each team playing every other team twice? This will change next season with the introduction of a playoff system to determine the champions.
- The Superliga is currently ranked 14th in Europe by UEFA? This is based on the performances of Danish teams in European competitions over the last five years.
- Attendances in the Superliga have been declining in recent years? This is thought to be due to a combination of factors, including ticket prices, television coverage, and the overall quality of football on offer.
- There have been some famous players who have played in the Superliga over the years? These include the likes of Peter Schmeichel, Michael Laudrup, and Cristiano Ronaldo (who spent one season on loan at FC Copenhagen).
- The current TV rights deal is worth around €40 million per year? This is a significant increase from the previous deal, which was worth just €12 million.
- There are plans to expand the Superliga to 18 teams by 2021? This would see two additional teams promoted from the second tier, as well as two new teams being added from Iceland and Faroe Islands.
The Best Superliga Players of All Time:
- Peter Schmeichel: The Great Dane is a legend of the game, and he spent four seasons in the Superliga with Brøndby IF. He is widely regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of all time.
- Michael Laudrup: The Danish maestro was a joy to watch during his time at FC Copenhagen, where he won five league titles. He is often considered to be one of the greatest players of his generation.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: The Portuguese superstar had a brief spell in the Superliga with FC Copenhagen, where he scored an impressive 29 goals in just 28 appearances. He would go on to greater things, of course, winning numerous trophies with Real Madrid and Juventus.
So there you have it – ten things that you may not have known about the Danish Superliga! Do not forget to check out the additional updates and latest sports news on totalsportek com.